A few tips if you are heading back into the gym this weekend:
- Don’t expect to lift the same weights that you were pre lockdown. I would recommend reducing the weight you lift by 30/40% and no more than 3 sets of each exercise.
- Take your time and concentrate on your technique. Make sure that it is spot on before increasing your weights again. This can be frustrating but it is worth it in the long run to avoid injury later down the line.
- Don’t rush back into it and try to catch up on lost time. Rest and recovery days are more important than ever as your body adapts. Skipping the recovery days can lead to slower progress in the long run.
- If your session in the gym is time limited don’t be tempted to skip the warm up and mobilisation at the start of your session and your cool down at the end. This will be vital to how quickly your body can readapt.
- Be patient and expect it to take a few weeks lifting lighter weights and working on technique before you get back to where you were.
- Try not to compare yourself to others. Focus on your own progress and you will enjoy the experience a whole lot more!
- Remember with consistent training you will get there!